A wall-mounted fruit rack from Ikea's Algot wardrobe system

By MAKEunder - January 11, 2018


The kitchen in our old apartment was, I kid you not, 100 square feet. It. Was. Tiny.
I hated that kitchen. We had no counter space, and a quarter of it was taken up by the miniature dishwasher that I bought us that saved our marriage.
I have been determined that in this new, bigger kitchen I will have ample prep space and won't devote great swathes of it to things that don't need to live on the counter.
I kept coming across great ideas for storing fruit on the walls and loved the idea, but didn't love the price tags of most options.


Like this one from Amazon for $44.50.
$44.50 to have something cute that keeps my fruit off the counter? No thanks.

So I kept searching for an easy, cheap way to make my own.

Then, whilst perusing the IKEA site for supplies for other projects, I stumbled across the Algot wardrobe system.



First of all, it's just an awesome, affordable, and super versatile system you could use to organize, like, a million things.

Second of all, its pieces pop together super easily and make for a very low-effort assembly process.

So I went ahead and bought:

One 22" Wall Upright (Okay, actually, I bought what I think was a shelf bracket on the first go-round because sleep deprivation)

And two Mesh Baskets With Bracket

To assemble all I needed to do was use three drywall screws (the kind with the plastic anchor bit) to attach the upright to the wall and then click the baskets into place.

My total cost for this project including the drywall screws was $12.

I could easily fit a third basket in (which I might just do, because bananas), but this works great for now. And if I do decide to add another, it's only $4!

I love how sturdy it is and the mesh allows good air flow so my fruit ripens evenly. And if I happen to forget some in there for too long and it becomes a sticky mess, I can simply pop the basket out and give it a wash!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Hey would you mind stating which blog platform you're using? I'm looking to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a difficult time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something completely unique. P.S Apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask! wholesale clocks australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to show my love for your kindness for those who must have guidance on this particular matter. Your personal dedication to getting the message all around was surprisingly invaluable and has frequently encouraged professionals much like me to reach their objectives. Your entire valuable publication can mean this much to me and even further to my office workers. Thank you; from each one of us.
    rustic home decor australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for providing individuals with an exceptionally nice possiblity to discover important secrets from this site. It's always very ideal and as well , full of a lot of fun for me and my office peers to search your site at the least thrice per week to find out the newest guides you have got. And definitely, we're always impressed considering the unique guidelines served by you. Some two points on this page are indeed the most efficient we have had.
    discount vouchers melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I'm looking to design my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. driftwood decor australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep listening to the reports talk about getting free online grant applications so I have been looking around for the best site to get one. Could you advise me please, where could i get some? discount deals australia


    ReplyDelete